After introducing an AF-P 70-300mm telezoom for its crop-sensor DSLRs last year, Nikon is adding a full-frame version to the mix. The AF-P Nikkor 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E ED VR is the first FX Nikkor lens to offer a pulse (stepping) motor, with quieter autofocus ideal for video shooters.
It claims 4.5 stops of stabilization, which is two stops better than 2.5 claimed on Nikon’s website for the current 70-300mm F4.5-5.6. This updated version also provides a shorter minimum focus distance of 1.2m / 3.94ft (compared to 1.5m / 4.9ft), ‘dust and drip resistance,’ a 9-blade aperture and an ED element to reduce chromatic aberration. It also has electronic aperture control for smooth exposure transitions while shooting video and bursts.
The AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E ED VR will sell for $700 with availability to be announced later.
NIKON INTRODUCES NEW FULL-FRAME TELEPHOTO ZOOM LENS: THE AF-P NIKKOR 70-300MM F/4.5-5.6E ED VR
MELVILLE, NY (July 11, 2017 at 12:01 A.M. EDT) – Today, Nikon announced the new AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR, modernizing this popular zoom lens with a myriad of the latest Nikon technologies. The new lens features enhanced Vibration Reduction (VR) image stabilization capability and integrates a stepping motor for fast and quiet AF performance, making it Nikon’s first full-frame AF-P lens. This new NIKKOR lens is a versatile, compact telephoto option for intermediate FX and DX-format photographers looking to capture sports, wildlife, candids, travel and other subjects at long distances, all with stunning clarity.
“This latest lens reaffirms Nikon’s commitment to giving FX-format shooters of all levels the unparalleled quality of NIKKOR glass, with the benefits of our latest optical technologies,” said Kosuke Kawaura, Director of Marketing and Planning, Nikon Inc.
Updated with the Latest NIKKOR Lens Technologies
Whether capturing a baseball game from the bleachers or the sights of a scenic vacation, the new AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR is a versatile lens that helps users capture sharp images and video, even in challenging light. The new AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm is lighter than its predecessor, despite packing new technologies that help those shooting photos and video achieve stellar results. Enhancements to the lens include:
- Improved Vibration Reduction (VR) System: The new AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm lens provides users with up to 4.5 stops* of VR stabilization, to help create sharp photos and smooth video, even in low light or while handheld. Users can choose from either Normal or Sport VR Modes for added stability when shooting from a non-stationary location.
- Lightweight with Stepping Motor Technology: This AF-P lens uses a stepping motor for fast and quiet autofocus, which reduces the sound of lens operation while recording HD or 4K UHD video. This new technology also contributes to the lens’ reduced weight, making it easy to carry on all-day excursions.
- Electronic Diaphragm: This lens takes advantage of the fast burst speed of Nikon DSLR cameras, as the Electronic Diaphragm not only provides smooth exposure transitions during video capture, but also helps maintain consistent exposure during high-speed shooting, such as when photographing sports.
- Get Close: The AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm lens features a minimum focus distance of only 3.94 ft. (1.2 meters) and a reproduction ratio of 0.25x, letting users get even closer to capture the most extravagant details, even at 300mm.
- Lens Construction: The lens features dust and drip resistance, along with a metal lens mount for durability. It features a 9-blade diaphragm for a natural, circular bokeh. The lens also features an ED element to significantly reduce instances of chromatic aberration.
Price and Availability
The Nikon AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR lens will have a suggested retail price (SRP) of $699.95**, and availability will be announced at a later date. For more information on this new NIKKOR lens as well as the latest Nikon products, please visit http://www.nikonusa.com.
*Based on CIPA Standard. This value is achieved when FX-format compatible lenses are attached to a FX-format digital SLR camera and zoom lenses are set at the maximum telephoto position.
**SRP (Suggested Retail Price) listed only as a suggestion. Actual prices are set by dealers and are subject to change at any time. Specifications, equipment and release dates are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer.
AF-P Nikkor 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E ED VR specifications
|Lens type||Zoom lens|
|Max Format size||35mm FF|
|Focal length||70–300 mm|
|Image stabilization||Yes (4.5 stops)|
|Lens mount||Nikon F (FX)|
|Number of diaphragm blades||9|
|Special elements / coatings||1 ED element|
|Minimum focus||1.25 m (49.21″)|
|Motor type||Stepper motor|
|Full time manual||Yes|
|Focus method||Extending front|
|Focus distance limiter||No|
|Weight||680 g (1.50 lb)|
|Diameter||81 mm (3.17″)|
|Length||146 mm (5.75″)|
|Zoom method||Rotary (extending)|
|Filter thread||67.0 mm|
|Hood product code||HB-82|